Saturday, February 18, 2012

South Africa Transformation


Over the course of the past two summers, I have had the opportunity to go on mission to South Africa with Rockharbor.  South Africa for me has become more than a memory of a past destination, but has become a representation of change and transformation in my life.  While there are many ways in which South Africa transformed my life, one specific area of transformation spurred by South Africa is my understanding of mission.  This transformation took place over the course of about a year.

Rewind back to summer of 2010.  A group of fellow Rockharbor folks and I rounded the lines of the globe landing in a place most of us were completely new to, South Africa.  During our time in South Africa, we were exposed to the reality of a broken world.  Our eyes were opened to the reality of AIDS, the reality of extreme poverty, the reality of fatherless children, the reality of rape and murder...the list goes on.  It was much for our eyes to bear.  It was like someone had pulled back the bandage on a gaping, bleeding wound.  Despite the pain and suffering that we were newly exposed to, we saw hope.  We saw the work of Christ weaving in and out of the lives of those we met.  Children accepting Christ into their lives, people being prayed over in their homes, persons infected with HIV/AID’s singing and praising the Lord.  God opened our eyes and transformed or vision of His mission globally.  For the two weeks we were there, we got to see and participate in Christ’s global mission and it was simply extraordinary. 

As I returned home with fresh eyes to the reality of brokenness across the globe and attempted to jump back in to ‘normal’ life, I struggled.  My heart had been burdened for South Africa and I longingly wished I was still there participating in God’s work.  I could hardly do the simplest of tasks at work as everything seemed less than the mission we were a part of in South Africa. I wrestled and prayed about this position that I found myself in.  It wasn’t until the plane ride home of my second visit to South Africa in 2011 that everything would fully come together and make sense.

In August of 2011, I had the opportunity to return to South Africa for my second visit.  My visit in 2011 was, again, extraordinary.  After our two weeks were through, we made our way onto our planes to return home.  As we flew back home I sat contemplating, again, how I could possibly return home to worthless work and feeling mission-less.  Sometime during my contemplating and thinking, I lifted my head to peer over the seat in front of me, and was struck with a sight that transformed me.  As I sat gazing over the seat back in front of me, I saw a sea of people quietly sitting in their seats.  Something looked different.  In that moment, God had given me eyes to see a plane full of people as souls, as people no less in need of Christ than those I had come across in South Africa.  At that moment, God transformed my thinking and connected the dots between what I had learned about mission in South Africa and the mission that continues at home.  I don’t know why I hadn’t seen the connection before.  The people on that plane looked like my coworkers.  They looked like my neighbors. They looked like the folks working the registers at Target.  Maybe their lives looked different, maybe the pain in their life looked different than what I had seen in South Africa, or was even hidden in their hearts, but the need for Christ was no less.

Through my global mission experience with Rockharbor South Africa, God transformed and widened my eyes to be conscious of His mission that plays out globally as well as His mission that continues locally.    God transformed my eyes to see His mission as something that transcends physical location.  Whether we are thousands of miles from the places we call home, whether we are inches over the threshold of our neighboring cubicle, God’s mission remains the same, our mission remains the same.

-- Ryan Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment