Saturday, July 28, 2012

I am finally here

I arrived last Wednesday after getting settled in to Africa with a week's stay in Cape Town, getting my bearings on the urban culture surrounding the bucolic setting of the school. I did typical tourist stops: a climb up Table Mountain ; a tour of the botanical gardens; museums--including the District 6 museum; and a circumnavigation of Cape Point. I recovered from jetlag and set my watch to local time. Matt Andre met me at the airport to save a longer trip into the city. The hour drive enabled him to give me an orientation. I arrived to find students prepping for exams. They were quietly seated at long tables in the connected rooms that form the classroom building that is Bridges Academy. I delivered the packages of BIC pens and glue sticks that I had brought with me. The plan is for me to work with some students who need to develop some grammar and spelling skills. And of course build relationships, the easiest and most fulfilling part of teaching and short term missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment