Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 2: First Day in Home Sweet Home

Hello all! It's Chalane here :)

Good news...we survived our first day in Sweet Home! Thank you all so much for praying over this day, it was definitely a blessed day! For starters, the weather forecast for today had predicted a high of 60 degrees but after a prayerful night and cold morning we arrived in Sweet Home to blue skies and warm sunshine! It was awesome to see nearly 60 kids pour into a small, one room shanty house eager to sing and play at the Vacation Bible School we put on.  Ellyn did a great job telling "The Big God Story" of creation to the kids while Jeff got super into the sing-alongs.  Even though most of the children don't speak English (we had the help of a translator to tell the story) the entire team jumped into the madness as kids laughed, jumped and climbed all over us.  Since we were severely out-numbered by the army of little ones we each had three or four children hanging on us at all times.  You could really feel how desperate the kids were for attention and affection.  One little boy in particular made me his best friend! This cute little 2-year old boy with busted shoes and tattered clothing had the most joy and energy! Though he left my side a few times to jump on the other team members he always seemed to come back to me, melting my heart. Even when my arms were dying and I put him down, he would sit on my feet and just lean against my legs. I'm not the only one, though. We all had kids literally cling to us, refusing to let us leave. It's my prayer for these children that even in their poor living situation and unstable households, they would know that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them so much. We may not be able to fix all their problems but I pray we can communicate the hope of Jesus to them.
Later, back at the Academy, I had the pleasure of teaching a Latin dance class! The students and I had SO much fun being silly while gettin' down! It felt so great to have a love of dance in common with the kids. All the while Kim led a baking session, Julie led dodgeball and Jan ran bunco with the students (Bunco was a surprisingly huge hit!). After dinner, Kate headed up devotions. Her vulnerability in sharing her testimony heeded great discussion and openness from both the students and our team. Needless to say, we all bonded :) I have to take a moment to brag about God because He totally pulled me through a potentially awkward conversation with a student: the student expressed to me how he felt bored in his faith. He was honest about not feeling blessed and feeling like his prayers are pointless. At that moment the Holy Spirit brought encouraging words and one of my past situations to mind to share with him. I recently attended a conference where they spoke on boredom in your faith - crazy God coincidence! I just felt so blessed tonight by how God has prepared me for this trip - He is SO good!! Thank you again for all of your prayers! Love you all!
PS - To those of you who know how much I love the outdoors - the mountains here are GORGEOUS!! (You know how happy that makes me:) )


What's up guys, it's Julie!

I was really hesitant to write on the blog but we had such a great day I decided I had to share some stories!  As Chalane said, all the kids were jumping and climbing on us and I loved every minute of it even the minute when a kid got so excited he pee'd on my lap!  And I know Chalane was too embarrassed to share it earlier but I HAVE to tell you that she was a victim of a toddler's excitement as well!  But in all seriousness it was so good just to sit and pour our love into each and every one of these children.  It seemed like these kids were just really starved for affection and we were all so happy to share God's love!

Later that afternoon Jared pulled Jan, Abby, Ben, Ellen and me to go do some home visits and pray for people.  As we were leaving the first house a woman started shouting at us in Afrikaans and honestly I thought she was crazy.  After we passed her we asked one of our translators what she was saying.  He said she was asking why we were visiting other people and not talking to her, so we decided to turn around and asked if she wanted prayer.  She immediately started opening up and shared her requests and problems that she wanted prayer for.  Her main requests were her son who has been missing for 8 months, needing a job and how miserable she was dealing with her struggles.  As we laid hands on her and started praying she fell to her knees, started wailing and collapsed in our arms.  We all held her and I was literally weeping with her in the middle of the street.  We affirmed her of God's love for her and I kept telling her how she is God's beautiful daughter and that He would never leave her or forsake her. My heart broke hearing her story and seeing how she owned nothing. It was so amazing to see how she was so overcome with joy just from being comforted and prayed for.  I know that God placed us in that exact place just to be with her in her pain. I would love for you to keep her in your prayers.
Mom and Dad, I love and miss you so much! <3


Hey it's Sarah here!!! Just wanted to say a quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my baby sister Molly!!!! I hope you enjoyed your SWEET 16. Love you to death :)









14 comments:

  1. Your blogs are wonderful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this just made me cry. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so excited to see your guys' faces and all of the kids...we can feel the love!! You are being lifted up in prayer all day EVERY DAY! Tell that handsome guy with a pomp that his wifey says hi and she loves him <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing you guys with those little faces! Some of you will never forget your first day in sweet home! Keep up the good work and we will keep praying for you.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. this brings such joy to my heart! so great to see God working through all of you! praying for all of you!

    -Steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me to see life here in OC with eyes of joy for what we do have. You guys are ALL doing something amazing there. Keeping you in my prayers daily.
    Those kids are so stinkin' cute!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for sharing all about the day! Obviously seeing the photos of you all the Academy & Sweet Home makes my day! Praying for God's continued blessing over you and those you encounter! ♥ keira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog and hearing about all the great things God is doing in SA. The photos are fantastic. Praying for all of you - keep on doing God's work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo awesome to hear of God's blessings to the women and children through all of you!!!

    Love you, Danielle!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Andre's are praying for you guys!!! We tried to comment on yesterday's post, but it mysteriously disappeared. :( So know we are checking for updates and love hearing the stories! Glad VBS went well and I hope that day 2 was just as awesome! Praying for strength and protection over all of you! P.S. Kim-We love that you're holding Edwards little brother in the pic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was such a beautiful post! Praying for you all! :) The pictures are SO cute too. You all look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey team! Just wanted to say that you never know what is going to happen in Sweet Home, but God knows and has a plan in each step. Trust that (I know you know this, but sometimes it is good to hear). Praying this verse over you guys right now, "Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of man is worthless. With God we will gain the victory, and He will trample down our enemies." Psalm 108:12-13

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful pictures! The kid's faces show that God is already working through you guys. We are praying our hearts out for you all. (Jeff, give all those precious kids a hug for me...love you)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings to Erin and Ryan and Team! Looks like everything is off to a great start! Thinking of you and sending lots of love over your way. xoxoxo Tara

    ReplyDelete