Saturday, August 4, 2012

Photos, plus some Bombin' & Ballin' from Jared

Hello...Jared again!

Just a quick update cause it's late but had a great day with the academy students.  After connecting so deeply over Justin Bieber songs last night, I felt a new level of trust with the students today.  Everyone was extra chatty today and were sweetly and manipulatively trying to convince me to change my flight and extend the trip.  One of the students, Nontando (12 years old - also an amazing singer), told me about a "vision" she had from God. 

Nontando:  "Jared... God gave me a vision that if you left on Monday an A-Bomb would be dropped on Bridges!"

Me:  "Nontando, you know what they say about false prophets right?"

Kristy Andre (Teacher):  "She must have been listening in my history class!!"

Earlier this week we got to watch the Bridges boys play in a basketball match and let me tell you... there is room for improvement.  I was a high school benchwarmer on the basketball team and they think I'm some sort of all star (I love it).  Taking full advantage of my newfound status, I did some one on one basketball lessons with a few of the boys.  Sibu learned to shoot a fadeaway, Aphiwe learned how to shoot a jump shot, Nathi learned a crossover and Sive learned to shoot a basketball, not throw it.  I'm embarrassed to tell you that I'm very sore as I type this.

Today I  also got a really vivid picture of how blessed we are.  There was a "clothing sale" today where the students could buy clothes for 5R (little more than 50 cents).  Each year for their birthday they each get 50R (about $6) that most of them save to use at the sale or buy some chocolate.  The sale consists of old used clothes that have been donated and then some basic items like underwear and hand towels.  Everyone was so excited; it felt like Black Friday (no pun intended).  As I watched the kids excitedly sorting through lots of clothes that mostly didn't fit them it really hit me how these kids are the lucky/privileged kids of the township and how enormously blessed I am.  

A great day here filled with some great conversations.  It feels like I'm just starting to break through with some of them before I have to leave.  Signing off now because I get to teach at church tomorrow!  

P.S.  I'm still holding out on the haircut cause the price keeps dropping.  

P.P.S. Mom and Dad - the kids said you looked like you were 30 years old.  Dad - you look like Jackie Chan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We hope you enjoy a few of our photos from today! Our small team got to spend the morning together and then our Saturday afternoon was spent at the academy with the students. It was great to have the sun come out and be able to spend sometime outside enjoying the sunshine with the students. Jared's prepping for his sermon as I type. We're in charge of the church service tomorrow. Thank you for your continued prayers! ❤ keira





2 comments:

  1. Jared, will you show us some of those basketball moves when you get back. I am so thrilled with the relationships you guys are building. We are loving the blog posts so keep them coming. We are praying for team unity and connection with God and others.
    Love,

    Monica and Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bold and blunt honesty of those students never gets old! Thanks for keeping us all updated and for including the humor that always happens there!

    BT

    ReplyDelete