Saturday, August 3, 2013

CHE Retreat

Hey family! Chalane here. Someone apparently made a mistake because with the weather we're having there's no way it's winter here! God blessed us with another beautiful and warm day to start the CHE retreat. Late last night the CHE's arrived, army of kids and all. The team split up to speak to the academy students and the CHE's while others took turns attempting to occupy the CHE's children. Though the kids were a handful - the language barrier didn't help - they are so cute (pictures to come!). There were moments when all the kids were crying for their mamas but we wanted to offer the CHE's a chance to relax and feel taken care of. I'm not sure how we would have survived without Ellyn's magic way with kids and all Jeff's experience. The first block of the CHE retreat was awesome! Russell's lesson in encouragement came with a feet washing for the CHE's from him, Rachel, Sarah, Jared, Danielle and Karissa. The women were so overwhelmed that they decided to then return the act of washing feet. Rachel mentioned it was a highlight moment of the trip so far: to see the body of Christ serving one another. Jeff and I spoke at the second session of the retreat: I spoke on identity in Christ and Jeff on spiritual gifts. At one point we gave the women a discussion and share time which led to an interesting debate about animal sacrifice. Just FYI many Christians in South Africa struggle giving up ancestral worship and traditions, including animal sacrifice. Since the topic is clearly important but also very sensitive, it was awesome we could open the door to addressing rituals. And even though I was leading the session at the time, I was so grateful that Taylor, Jeff and Kate were there to help answer questions and offer scripture to back up our claim that animal sacrifices are no longer necessary. It was clear the Holy Spirit was with us helping us because things were a little tense and intimidating but I'm so glad we pressed into it together. You can be praying for the CHE's (and the students) to find a balance between culture and following Christ!

While the CHE retreat was going, Abby shared her testimony with the academy students and talked with them about trusting God with your body. This is a really big topic for the students so Abby's openness in sharing was really impactful. Jan did a great job speaking later with them about trusting God and how each of us as Christians are leaders (the kids adore Jan). After hanging out with the kids later at the bon fire (we even had s'mores!) they unanimously expressed how much they enjoyed the speakers and their stories they shared. We pray all the devotions and lessons we do with the students really gets their wheels turning. And we want to continue to pray that the students can learn to trust each other and the staff enough to share personal things so they can receive prayer and guidance.  Plus there's healing in talking and many of the kids don't feel they have anyone they can really share big stuff with. But we're gettin' there! 

We ended the night in a really neat way by getting to pray for Sisanda, who recruits and trains CHE leaders and runs after-school programs and support groups for orphans in four different townships. In other words, she does A LOT to serve God and is still incredibly joyful and kind despite her enormous work load! AND she's a mother. She just looks at you with the love of Jesus. It's truly been a blessing meeting her. Please pray for her! Pray that God would continue to be her strength and would bless her abundantly for all the good work she does. Being the saint she is, Sisanda expressed how much this retreat meant to the women and even said they feel like "princesses." Pause for tear. What a day of blessing and being blessed!

Thanks for all your prayers and support! And please do comment - we all love to hear from you :) The encouragement means so much!

Love you all,
Chalane.












9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an amazing CHE Retreat! Feet washing is so humbling, I'm so glad you guys were able to experience that. It doesn't matter if your an American or a South African, rich or poor, we are all here to love and serve one another, and that is exactly the message you guys are living out. I can tell from the blog and pictures that the joy is reciprocal- that even though you went there to help and love them, you are also being helped and loved in many ways. I am extremely encouraged by the work you all are doing. Keep the blog posts coming!

    Miss you Ellen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a day! Please give my best to Sisanda...hopefully she had a chance to be there for the CHE retreat sessions instead of being in the kitchen cooking the meals (like she was last year...she truly is a servan of God)! Thank you for persevering through some of those tough questions and conversations...I pray that God will continue to bless you and those you interact with! Remember that you are sowing seeds for the Kingdom.
    "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building." 1 Corinthians 3:6-9
    ♥keira

    P.S. Since you'll probably be reading these comments on Sunday I just wanted to do a quick shout out to Kim...August 4th is Friendship Day and I just want you to know how VERY grateful I am to have you as a friend! Praying God's blessings for each one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For almost a week now we've been following daily how God is using each and everyone of you in a special way. It brings us tears of joy looking at the pictures and hearing your stories of how your ministering to them. We are praying God's blessing on you as you try to break down the barriers.

    P.S. Chalane we love you and miss you... Becky,Terry,Chad & Chase

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like God is giving you all wisdom and answers for the students and leaders. I pray that He will use you all to inspire a deeper hunger for God, for righteousness, and for serving God in the hearts and minds of the students. I pray that He will make His love for them extremely real to them, and I pray that they will commit to serve Him with all their hearts and minds and souls. I continue to pray that God will give you all energy and perseverance.

    Also, a quick note to Danielle - We love you and miss you very much!!! And, hehe, Dustin is coming over for dinner (enchiladas) tomorrow night and Michael and Lindsay say "hi - and they love you very much" and Lindsay is excited to meet Dustin and they loved reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome that you guys were able to minister to the CHE's in a loving way, even though you were contrasting a bit of what they believe in. That's amazing! I just want to let you guys know that these posts melt my heart everyday and seeing the gorgeous pictures you guys post seriously brings tears to my eyes. Praying for you all and can't wait to see what God has in store for the next week of the trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading these posts. What you guys are doing is just so inspiring. I am so proud of you Tay! Hearing about the lives of these kids really opens my eyes. It makes me want to be more wise on how I spend my time, money and energy. This verse just really spoke to me today for you guys! I am praying over this day and upcoming week.

    Ephesians 6:10-18
    English Standard Version (ESV)
    The Whole Armor of God

    10 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,"

    I miss you.
    I love you SO much!

    -Ames

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great to hear about the CHE Retreat; those ladies are awesome! We pray you all had a good day today and that God gave you all strength to push through & enjoy the busy weekend!

    This morning we read Psalm 26:1-6 and hope it encourages you: "The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord."

    Thank you for taking the time at night to update the blog. We love checking on it and joining in with what's going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the visual of washing the Ches feet. That is so powerful. I am so happy God is working through each of your stories to encourge our brothers and sisters over there.

    You all have had quite a week. I hope you enjoy ypur much needed day off and gear up for next week. I was with some folks from the winter team last night. They are so encouraged by your stories but sometimes get too shy to write a comment. We are lifting you up in our prayers!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the blog posts and photographs! Please know that not only are your experiences making an impact in South Africa, but back home as well. It is so encouraging and inspiring to see glimpses of your missionary work through this blog--what a blessing! Know that I, with countless others, are praying relentlessly for your team!

    Over-pouring with love for you and your mission,

    Amanda Curran

    ReplyDelete