Monday, January 9, 2012

DAY 1: MEETING THE KIDS


Today was day 1 of our camp with the Bridges kids, and I have to say it was a long and crazy one but in the best way. The students arrived and I was nervous wondering what the day was going to look and be like. Will they like us, will they understand us just so many unknowns. I was so surprised at how welcoming they were of us and just the joy they had to be here. Throughout the day we had activities from the balloon popping game to soccer and even an acting/film class. It took a little effort but once we got going in an activity they took off and made us laugh and enjoy this time fully. I’m blown away at their lookout on life and how much love they have for one another. Tonight we had a bon fire with s’mores and between all of our team we had a full-blown s’mores factory going. The fire took a little time to get started, we had about 30 mile an hour winds all day but once we did the students gave us all a memory we will never forget. All of them started to sing worship songs in both English and Xhosa while a couple students played the drums.



It was one of the most soul touching events I’ve ever experienced, one that just brings you to tears because you can feel their joy, just pure totally unhindered Joy. I just found myself getting lost in the moment and feeling so blessed to be here with them. We got to dance with them around the fire praising God for his blessings; it’s something I know we will all remember for the rest of our lives. Today started out with nerves and the complete unknown and ended with joy, praise, and friendship. Today was an amazing day; I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Many Blessings Amanda Johnson<3

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing about the day! I'm so glad the first day with the students was a good one. Praying for you all to have an extra measure of energy & patience today. :) keira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just feel what i'ts like to be at the bonfire and remember the kids singing and how moved I was by God's love of us all. be blessed with every single minute. love you Amanda; take care of each other

    ReplyDelete