Thursday, January 19, 2012

Expect the unexpected...


Hi Family & Friends!
It’s Kari here!  I’m so excited to share my experience here in South Africa with everyone back home, but until I get there, here’s a preview.  Today I was able to teach some of the CHE’s, who have their own sewing business, how to make wine bottle bags. 
I have been looking forward to teaching this class all week & feel that my time in Sweet Home is my purpose for the trip.  I absolutely loved being in Sweet Home earlier this week – the people are genuine & so open to learning from us.  I was able to sit in on Alan & Mark’s business class on Monday & was interested to hear where the ladies were at within their sewing business (i.e. – goals & expectations).   
As we have discovered while being here in SA, things don’t always go as planned.  The ladies had gotten their sewing machines repaired & we were under the impression that they were supposed to be getting them back today.  But to our surprise, they hadn’t received them & we didn’t find that out until after we arrived in Sweet Home this morning.  So Sisanda (one of the CHE leaders) got on her phone & tracked down someone in the township who had a sewing machine we could use.  (By the way, I brought my old sewing machine to SA but we decided not to bring it today due to a converter issue).
Mark, Claire, Sisanda & I walked to go pick up the sewing machine & then walked to the building where we would I would be teaching the class.  The women soon joined us & I began my class.  Since we only had one sewing machine, I thought the best idea would be to have one of the women do the actual sewing & I’d just teach them how to assemble the bag.  My class took a turn off course when Sisanda, who was translating, left to go check on a member of the community, leaving me to figure out how I was going to communicate to these ladies.  Not only was it difficult to teach without my own sewing machine, it just got more complicated now that I didn’t have a translator.  Luckily, one of the ladies spoke a little English & we were able to communicate & I was able to finish teaching the class using simple English, gestures & smiles.
Overall, the ladies were excited & receptive to learn to sew something new & I was definitely in my element with the sewing.  The ladies are confident they will be able to sell the wine bottle bags to the local wineries (my original intent) & be able to bring in income for their business & families. 
Another exciting moment was at the end of the class, they asked me to teach them how to make reversible sling bags.  But unfortunately I hadn’t brought enough fabric & we had ran out of time.  But Claire said I could come back tomorrow & teach them then.  So back to Sweet Home I will go!  It will be great to spend another day teaching these ladies – I’m blessed to be able to pass on the knowledge others have given me. 

Love,
Kari

4 comments:

  1. Yay, Kari!!! So glad to hear the sewing went well :). Well done adapting!!! Things always come up, that's when we just shrug our shoulders and say TIA! (This Is Africa) :). Praying for you all as you wrap up your time....praying that you finish strong, with full hearts....lots of love :) Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool babe! Sounds like it was a success. Now they have another marketable product which I'm sure excited them. Will be anxious to hear how tomorrow goes.

    You and sewing ARE like peas and carrots. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And these are the experiences you will look back on and see GOD in all the things that went "wrong". HIS ways are greater than our ways! :) keira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Africa... where very little seems to go as planned! (Haha) But how awesome that you got to adapted so quickly and continue teaching. So excited about this new source of income for the CHE families. Teaching a new skill is one of the best resources that can ever be given!

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete