Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Empower.

Hi all! Chalane here.

What a powerful day of God moving and empowering! The day started with a team trip to Beautiful Gate, a non-profit organization, just outside Cape Town where we held a CHE (Community Health Evangelist) training.  Kathleen was able to offer training in dealing with addiction and alcoholism. Lindsay bravely shared her testimony that offered hope to the CHE’s. Since many of the CHE women daily interact with an alcoholic, the teaching was invaluable. It was apparent that the CHE’s were thirsty for more information and incredibly grateful for what Kathleen and Lindsay had to offer. Unfortunately, South Africa doesn’t have the same resources and support groups for addicts and their families as in the States. Lindsay now has a vision of helping the CHE’s start an Alynon support group – meetings for families and friends of addicts. Stay tuned for how that kick-start unfolds this week! Two miracles happened by this point already: Kathleen, who had lost her voice and couldn’t speak even up until moments before the training, regained her voice just long enough to share her lesson before returning to her voiceless state. We’re praying her voice will again return tomorrow at least for the duration of her lesson. Second miracle: low on supplies, we used all our remaining bread to make as many PB&J sandwiches as possible to share with the CHE’s but didn’t know if we’d have enough; we had the exact number of sandwiches for the CHE’s, including a half sandwich for one of their young daughters. Amen to God coincidences!
            After returning, we geared up for another day of ASP (After-School Programing) with the Academy students. Meredith, Morgan and Kira ran the line dancing class again. Paul and Dana headed up a spiritual discipline class on prayer. April and Lizzie taught the kids how to crochet. And finally, Allie, Matt, Ray and Molly helped with a Bible verse rap-off. Toward the end of the rap-off, Ray and I had a cool moment with two of the grade 9 boys: the boys were teaching me how to play the African drum and somehow it turned into a mini worship session. The kids are so musically talented. Moments like that are ones I take home with me.
            After ASP we prayed for another grade 12 (our goal is to pray over each of the grade 12 students individually). This was just one of the many times we witnessed the power of prayer; we watched the student moved to tears by how God ministered to her as we prayed. Blessed to be a blessing.
            We had our usual dinner with the students down at the Academy. Instead of the playful discussion that usually happens around dinner, I took a walk with a student. She wanted to share with me some things that had been on her heart that she was trying to work through. She prefaced our conversation by letting me know she had never told anyone else what she was about to tell me. She explained to me how she was trying to forgive the men who sexually abused her when she was younger. I was able to, by God’s grace alone, speak truth over her and pray for her without becoming a complete sobbing mess. My heart just broke for her. I left the conversation with a heavy heart, reminded that while these students seem like normal high school kids, they’ve been exposed to so much hurt and destruction.
Scheduled to share my testimony and lead a devotion with the school later that night, I had a hard time feeling like I had much to offer these kids who have been through so much. Later on, to my delight, we walked back into the school and were greeted by a roar of Xhosa praise songs. After hearing that heavy story it was incredible to see all the students, including the one I had spoken with earlier, rejoicing and praising God. I felt so blessed by God in that moment. The power had actually gone out at the school so oil lanterns around the room romantically set the atmosphere. Ray led another awesome worship session, ending with a Xhosa song that he learned moments earlier! Using light from the oil lanterns, I read some verses from Matthew 3 & 4 and explained how God’s identity was challenged in the wilderness. I had those verses on my heart for the kids, I think, because they’ve been through so much trauma. How could their identity not be shaken? I explained how the enemy loves to attack our identity. I used my testimony as an example, which was really empowering. Taking into account my earlier heavy conversation, I was eager to speak truth over the kids about how they are all beautiful, forgiven, made new, and valuable. I feel like God allowed that conversation to happen right before I spoke to the students so that I’d have an extra dose of compassion and love to pour out to them. Between my earlier conversation and the way students thanked me later for sharing my story, I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. Feeling like I’m right in the middle of God’s will for me is an amazing feeling.

Please pray for our health! Sinus and chest colds are rampant on our team. We could definitely use more prayer for healing and strong immune systems. Thank you to all my donors and supporters. This trip has already been incredible and God has more in store. Can’t wait to share stories with you all!

To all, we love you comments! We look forward to reading them together each night!

Blessings,

Chalane :)

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I look forward to reading the blog everyday! and I am so amazed at how God is working through you and what He is doing there in South Africa! Praying for good health and for him to sustain you through the rest of the trip!

    Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing about your day .. It's so awesome how God continues to meet your needs - your voice reappears at that perfect moment to enable you to get your lesson taught, just enough sandwiches. Such a blessing ! I was in tears as I read about the young girl sharing how she was abused and the fact that she had carried that with her so many years and never shared that before. So great she felt comfortable to share that after being alone with that so long. Praise God she had a way out through your ministry - a way out of that darkness. I am in awe of the work your team is doing. So thrilled that as you prepare to leave - you give these people a skill set to be empowered. To set up a program such as Al-anon. So awesome !!! I will keep praying for healing as you carry on this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In God's word there is hope for Chalane and her academy student... Psalm 27:10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me; Joel 2:18 Then the LORD was jealous for his land and took pity on his people; 25 "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten...." Thank you all so much for being courageous enough to deal with the really tough issues in their lives. Thank you for turning their hearts to Jesus and for pointing them to the Cross. Always. Praying for you all.. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" Romans 15:13
    The words, pictures and stories you share are all God's works and promises, it is very inspiring to read.....thank you for sharing. I pray for continued healing and safety for all of you! Dianna Q.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those God miracles where in small ways He shows His power always give me chills. I love how God was speaking through you giving you the right words to say in those difficult situations.
    I am praying that time slows down for you and for many more moments filled with His presence and love. Wish you could bottle that place up and take it home for me! Sending my love to Za!! Finish strong friends!
    Monica Harter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chalane, I loved reading about how God met you as that student shared with you and as you shared your story with the students. There is such beauty to be found in vulnerability. I am grateful for the sensitivity to the Spirit that you showed in both of those times during the day. Praying for more moments like these as the Spirit continues to rest upon each of you as you talk, laugh, play, and speak truth over the students and CHE's this week.

    Winter colds in ZA are never fun. Praying for quick healing and for endurance for those who are sick. Continue to keep leaning in to what the Spirit is doing and as Monica said,"Finish strong!"

    Love,
    Kimmykins (That's for you, Chalaney) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading all these posts!

    Darcy here, Kira's best friend from High School here to wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I am so proud of you and love that you are doing The Lord's work over in Africa. AND I am so happy you are teaching line dancing...making this new Texan proud!!

    Continuing to pray for the safety of the team, and can't wait to hear stories when you're back!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you guys! I pray, also, that time would slow. Soak up all the moments. Pause and be open to those stories.

    Ephesians‬ ‭5‬:‭1-2‬ NLT
    "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sending out prayers to all of you on the team, to the beautiful children and students. I pray that the pain will be replaced with joy, that their hearts will be strengthened by God's grace. I cant even imagine what they went through in their lives.
    May your day be blessed tomorrow!
    Lots of Love - Dianna Quinones

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful heart and a well written journal. I am so happy you gave us a glimpse of the trip.

    ReplyDelete