Wednesday, August 6, 2014

"Passionate Clarity"

Allie Here…

We’ve hit the 3-day mark, so bittersweet!  I want to thank you all for keeping up with the blog and continually praying for our team, who is such a family.  This entire trip we have been discussing as a team about short-term mission.  We’ve been sharing about how we don’t always get to see the harvest and sometimes all we can do is plant seeds.  These past two days have been rough for me.  The other day a student came up to me and shared her story with me.  I am not kidding when I say it was heart breaking.  To hear how much these kids go through in their 15 years of life is overwhelming.  I prayed over the student and I felt the Lord in my prayers.  When these students become vulnerable with people and their walls come down, they can become closed off and disconnected.  These past two days my heart has just been breaking for this girl.  Tonight as I told my team/family about my brokenness for this student, Jared prayed a verse over me that really hit my heart.  Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy.  They weep as they go to plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the harvest”-Psalms 126:6.  I was reminded of a time Bill Dogtruem spoke at Rock Harbor,  he said “God doesn’t leave you in your brokenness, he sits with you and helps you up out of the dirt."  I was reminded of this tonight and just how evident God is in brokenness.  I ask that you all would pray for this student and her beautiful heart, pray that she knows that nothing can separate her from the love of God.

Hey all, it’s Kira!

While sitting and reflecting on the miraculous two weeks that we have spent here at Bridges, a verse came to mind that seemed extremely fitting of the place in which the team is currently sitting: 1 Peter 4:7-10.

 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.” Today during our morning devotional, Matt spoke to us about staying focused and pushing through any sort of temptation to stray from our focus on God and his work. To quote Matt, he encouraged us to complete our time here with “passionate clarity”.  This was wonderful guidance because through out this trip, I have seen God move through each of us through the power of prayer and God’s clarifying light. Prior to coming on this trip I was often uncomfortable praying, and if I am being honest, rarely felt that I had seen any sort of response from God. Being here however, I have seen prayer after prayer answered, and God’s love heal.  Prayer throughout our trip has been so key to all of our successes.

"Above all, love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins."

 The love that has been experienced here from God, my teammates, and the kids has been an indescribable gift. There is such a feeling of camaraderie and devotion to each other that has cultivated the community necessary to allow God to truly work. Today for example, was my birthday, and from the moment I woke up I have been serenaded with love and affection. Tonight when we went down to the school for devotions, I was surprised by a beautiful version of Happy Birthday sung by all of my team and all of the students. And, as if it could get any better, my teammates surprised me with popcorn (because I was craving salt, naturally) and an amazing ZA style birthday cake (props to Molly and Morgan for its’ deliciousness!).  And a special thanks to Ray who sang me his very own version of my favorite Jason Aldean song (since I’ve been missing my country music!)  I could not have asked for a better Birthday away from home!

 "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling."  
Today those of us who stayed back at Bridges (Matt, Molly, Morgan, Ray, Ali, Dana, Jared, Danielle, Chalane, and I) decided to clean up the retreat center and do some beautification (weed picking) for the school. It was so encouraging to see how willing and eager everyone was to help in anyway they could!

 "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms."  
The team here is full of such a diverse group of people, and it has been so awesome seeing all of them use what God has equipped them with to help the people we have come into contact with.   Today, Lindsey, Kathleen, Paul, Meredith, and Lizzie went back into Beautiful Gate to further work with the CHE’s on addiction and possible venues for support. When everyone returned, ASPs were in full swing with Ali leading a Bible verse rap off with Morgan, Ray and myself; Meredith and Lizzie leading a spiritual discipline class on meditation and isolation; Lindsey, Dana, Kathleen and April teaching the kids to bake; and Molly and Matt showing the kid’s what’s up in a few rounds of UNO! We prayed for the seniors Vuyiseka and Sive today as we wish them well in their journey after graduation.  And then to conclude the night, we listned to April move the kids to tears as she shared the story of her walk with God, and the importance in community and faith.


All in all it was a good day down here in ZA! God Bless!

8 comments:

  1. I am so overjoyed reading this post!

    Kira,

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY (America time)!!! Your words brought tears to my eyes! We are so incredibly happy for you and delighted that you are experiencing God's love in a way unlike ever before. When we pursue Him, He will reveal Himself to us!

    We know that the Lord is working through you in such incredible ways. We love you so much and cannot wait to hear all of your stories, see all of your pictures, and celebrate your birthday when you come home! (with LOTS of country music of course).

    "Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."
    Matthew 7:7-8

    With love,
    Amber & Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I am LOVING all the pictures of the Bridges girls' hair! So fabu, as Jan Jack would say. :)

    Allie, I am praying for the girl you shared about. The Lord sees your grieving heart and is faithful to answer prayers, so do not stop praying! I was reading through Psalms tonight and came across one of my favorite verses. I'll be praying this over you and the rest of the team as you finish up your time in ZA. "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:13-14

    You guys are awesome! Enjoy those last three days. Hug all the Bridges kids for me! (Especially my girls Lerato and Kanyo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears and goosebumps again!!! Reading these blog posts are the highlight of my day (thank you for including us in this amazing journey), and I hope you all know that the stories you share are incredibly encouraging and faith-building. I am continually blown away by the glory and the power of God. Even though the students at Bridges have areas of deep pain and brokenness in their lives, it is evident that God is holding them close, and He is using you all as His ministers of love, restoration, and hope. Thank you all for your obedience to the Lord, and may God bless you, strengthen you, and give you good health and endurance these last few days in ZA!!

    Much love,
    Ellen Bosch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Kira! It is so amazing being able to see how God is working so much in your life. I'm so overjoyed that you and your team members get to experience such an amazing thing. God's love is so apparent in the stories that you guys tell each day and I'm overwhelmed with joy when I get to read them everyday! I love you so much and can't wait to hear in person how much you enjoyed everything in South Africa.

    God Bless,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have enjoyed reading your blog each evening and have marveled at all that you have packed into a single day. It sounds like an amazing group of kids. How wonderful that you have brought so much love and caring into their lives. This experience is a gift to those you've touched and to yourselves as well.

    Happy Birthday to Kira!

    Love to all,
    Mom & Dad Williams

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading the stories you all have to share every day! It is such a blessing to get a glimpse of what you all encounter in ZA. I hope you all can find more time to reflect on what God has done during your trip and press into what He still has for you in your remaining days.

    These stories reveal how loving and compassionate our God is in times of brokenness and hardships. I'm reminded of this verse from 1 Peter 5:10, "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, he will restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." Your conversations, prayers, and words of encouragement are a source of comfort and peace for the students.

    I'm praying for you all and hope those who have colds feel much better soon. Give the students a big hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So love the stories and so love the Pics and tonight when I opened your blog and saw Allies bright smile , my heart melted. I soooo miss you !! You are doing amazing work -
    I am so impressed with your "team". Not only have you all poured out to this community who has received with such gratitude , but you continue to lift one another up !
    Your time there is now flying and has it winds down, just take it all in. I know speaking from this side .. Your family and friends are missing you and are so so proud of what you have accomplished. Still praying for healing and strength as you get thru the week

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, just a few days left! I pray that you'll be fully present. Don't be surprised if the kids pull away. They've connected with you and they know what it feels like when you leave. Trust that they will forever remember you because they will. And you'll be forever changed by this experience as well. I pray for comfort as you begin finishing. <3

    ReplyDelete