Wednesday, August 18, 2010

As we near the end of our mission we are all swelling with stories of how God is moving here in South Africa. Stories of Academy students opening up to share their lives. Stories of children in Sweet Home singing worship songs with reckless enthusiasm. Stories of students choosing to wait until marriage to have sex. Stories of CHE's learning life changing skills. Stories of overwhelming joy. All stories that form into the larger story of God.

Erika and Kacie have volunteered to share their stories from today...

Erika:

Dear Diary,

(Just kidding.)

In Sweet Home today, we celebrated our final day of VBS. Despite the grey and gloomy weather, our experience was beautiful: We recapped the entire Big God Story, and ended with a message on how God offers each of us a part to play in His redemptive plan. Lastly, we were given a chance to lay hands on the students in prayer. Each of us held dozens of students in our arms and pleaded for God's blessing over their lives. It was an incredibly powerful and memorable moment. My prayer is that our relationship with Sweet Home would be longlasting, such that we'd be granted opportunties to see how God has practically worked in their lives. May God keep these children within His will.

Before we left, I pulled aside one of my favorite students from the week: Sinethemba (which in Xhosa means "We have hope.") He is such a beautiful, smart, outgoing and loving child--and probably had the best English out of any of the students. I noticed he had worn the same outfit day after day. "Sinthemba, is that the only outfit you have?" I asked. He nodded sadly, looking away. I continued, "But what about your parents? Where is your mom and dad?" He told me they were gone, and that he had no one to care for him. I held him tightly in my arms and began to pray for God's provision and love to flow over him. It grives me that he's all alone. Yet, I know that I must trust God's love to be infinitely greater and more powerful than my own.

Afterwards, a few of us ventured to one woman's home to pray. As she lovingly welcomed us into her home, we each were shocked at her living situation. She had to physically lift her door up from the hinges in order to usher us in. The entire house was but one room; no larger than eight feet by eight feet. The walls and floors were covered in trash and spare pieces of linoleum. Her small bed occupied half the house, while a small table filled with pots left nearly no extra room. The six of us stood shoulder to shoulder, barely fitting inside.

She began to indulge us in her story: her nearly three year old son (who still had not learned to walk) was in the hospital severely ill with TB. He was so sick that he couldn't be touched without inflicting pain. She wept as we gathered around to pray for her and her son.

It's always difficult to be in Sweet Home, and it never seems to get easier. Never. Not even a little.

Most the time, I find that it's less difficult to witness poverty--because those we come in contact with often seem so joyful after spending just a little time with them. We can play, dance and sing with kids and see them light up. We can pray with the community and help instill hope in their hearts. I find that often the physical poverty isn't the issue that grives my heart. It's the conviction I feel about the way I live my life back home that breaks me. At the end of the day, I must confess that I am completely and utterly enslaved to the systems of Orange County. We are so filthy rich. And to what benefit?

In Luke 18, a young, rich and powerful man approaches Jesus asking how to inherit the Kingdom of God. Jesus instructs him to obey the commandments, to which the man rejoices because he had successfully done so. That is, until Jesus throws a curveball:

Luke 18:22 says, "When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Sadly, the man walks away. He refuses to rebuke his wealth. He walks away from Jesus, and denies the Kingdom of God.

It worries me that I'm not much different than the young, rich man. I have to admit that I would really struggle with Jesus telling me to sell everything I have. Ultimately, I can go along with much of American Christianity and live a good Christian, moralistic life. However, Jesus makes it pretty clear: if I can't abandon my wealth for His glory, and for the benefit of His people, am I really following Him at all?

I don't want to have a false faith. I want to be someone who follows Christ with radical abandonment. Yet, when surroudened by complete and utter desolation it's painful to examine your walk with Christ. I think we would each admit that we could all be doing a bit more.

I don't mean this post to discourage or depress you--but to make us all think a little bit more about the way we live. What things do we wrongly bestow significance or importance on?

Pray for me, and for our team as we get home. I'm sure the culture shock will be a challenge for each of us. Pray for pure and total obedience; that we may glorify our Lord.

Blessings! I miss all of you back home!


Here are thoughts from Kacie:

Our time here at the the academy has been incredible for me. From day one I have felt this peace in my heart and complete feeling of being home here at the farm. I loved these kids long before I knew them and after having spendt time with them it feels impossible for me to leave...especially after they have shared with me their stories over the past few days. A few girls come to mind...each story different and none any less heartbreaking than the other. I can't help but admire their resolve and wisdom beyond their years from their life events. My prayer coming to Africa was for God to break my heart for what breaks His and he is definitely following through in my request. The students here are precious and beautiful and their smiles fill my heart with more joy than I have ever experienced. Everyday I have spent time with them and everyday, in small moments, I see Christ in them.

Today I did a prayer walk around the academy grounds in preparation for day 3 of our choose to wait abstinance program. While praying over the students and praying to God for clarity of how to facilitate and lead discussion today I was overwhelmed with God telling me that these kids are His and He is using us to begin the healing process for many. Choose to wait has been a place where brokenness has come to the surface and I think it has become about more than purity. It has become a place to examine who God is and what it means to follow Christ and it has been incredible to watch it unfold.

Our three day program had a theme of God's Love.
Day 1: Because of His love we are called to be holy. We talked about God as holy and how he calls us to be holy in our lives. Parker and Erin shared their story and defined the good plan of marriage that God has for us. We've discovered a pain-filled portrayl of marriage here and many students don't want to get married. We sought to show them how God's plan for marriage was so unlike what they have seen and know from their families and townships.
Day 2: Because of His love we are forgiven by His grace. Jason, Lailanie, and I gave our testimonies and each one was perfectly woven into the idea of God has savior, redeemer, and healer. Since then countless students have come to me and thanked me for sharing and have told me small moments from their own lives that bring them pain and how my testimony touched their heart. God is so good! He takes my story and the pain I went through and uses it to stir in these students' hearts and bring forth what He needs them to accept and then allow Him to heal. I am so humbled that He is using me in this way. Each story I hear is heartbreaking, but these kids give me such hope in God. He has shown up in a mighty way.
Day 3: Because of His love we can find strength in Jesus and walk with him daily. Today we had a question and answer session that got at the heart of how we can practically lead pure lives everyday. We discussed predecision-making for healthy boundaries in relationships, divorce, HIV/AIDS, etc. It was an awesome day. We decided to hold a girl session and a boy session so that we could get to the heart of the matter in a safe and comfortable way. It proved to be key because the kids really opened up. Some girls, however, seemed very bitter towards being in the group today. They appeared to want nothing to do with the conversation, wouldn't make eye contact, or answer questions. These are the same few girls who have appeared to think purity is important in the other two days of choose to wait. Today showed me that appearences are deceiving and even if they don't look like they are listening, they are. God is still stirring in their hearts. After homework time tonight one of these girls gave me a note and I thought I would share a few sentences from it for you (grammar and all :) ).

"Hi kacie. I am very glad God sent you to Africa and share he's word with us. And Thanks For sharing your life story to us. It meant a lot to me, that I'm not the only one who have problems on earth, like everybody have problems in their life and struggle a lot. That thing wait and choose it meant a lot to us and it encourage us that, if we did some mistakes in the past and ask forgiveness to God he will Forgive you. When I think about that I think about this verses. Psalm 65:3 "Though we are overwhelming by our sins, you forgive them all." Psalm 86:5. "O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love For all who ask For your help." These verse means a lot to me. if you would love to hear my story i would like to come and tell you. I love you so much, Kacie."
Praise God for his unfailing and forgiving love. I am so humbled to be used by him and so encouraged by the work He is doing in the hearts of the kids, like this little girl. God's presence is so real here and I feel Him moving and working actively everyday. The students have captured my heart and I have such a passion to serve them. It will be very difficult to return home.

Choose to wait has gone very well. I think God has moved beyond the issue of purity and encompassed it in His larger desire for the hearts of all the kids. Some are so lost and broken and these past three days I've seen God in the way that they have opened up and began to heal. Please pray for the kids here as they struggle through acknowledging their hurts and I pray that as we leave, their openness continues and they allow God to continue to work in their hearts.

Goodnight everyone! It's 12:20 am here and I have to be up in 5 hours because we are going on a game drive and leaving the academy at 6:30 am! I pray that we see some Big 5 animals!!! Love and miss you all! God bless!

6 comments:

  1. Ola, It is with great joy I heard from the Royal one, great Erika, Queen of no mans land. It is indeed amazing of all the days you posted today. :D I have to find a unique jamacian band to come to the airport to apply their skills to your welcome home party. If the local college marching band and the churches in Watts can come also, I will make cupcakes for all of them. Sinethemba can come in your carry on luggage. I dont know if that got a laugh or a eye roll but we are so happy she is coming come, she can bring anyone she wants. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have to say that Luke 18:22 has been apart of my devotionals in the morning for the past few days and I have just overlooked it saying, "well that's not me"..not even stopping to think why that verse keeps showing up..it is me...these stories break my heart and I know God's purpose there for you all is going just according to His plan : )
    I will keep praying for these kids and for the team to finish strong!!..its so true, they are listening even if you think they aren't...hang in there everyone ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your day with the sights and sounds of God's Creation. Take lots of pictures so we can oo and ahh...... Can't wait to welcome you home. For all your hard work, may the Lord be pleased and smile down at the works of your hands. I don't know if this is my last chance to comment, but it's been a great journey with you. Praise God from whom all Blessings flow, Praise Him all Creatures here below, ........ Have a safe trip home! God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your diligence in posting about your trip. I have been thinking and praying for you all quite a bit (well, especially Jess, I have to admit). It's great to hear what God is doing through you but also hurts to hear the brokenness and poverty that you are witnessing firsthand. I trust God will continue to grow the seeds you have sown there. Thanks again for sharing your experiences via the blog. Have a safe trip home!

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh may zing. Keep on rockin it! You guys are rad and it brings a tingly joy to my being reading what's going on. It fans my flame.
    I hope you all feel better today. I know most of you have been dealing with some illness. Pray that out in Jesus' name. Keep running, He won't let you grow weary. Keep relying on His peace. I hope The Holy Spirit gives each of you something special and personal today. :)
    Isaiah 55 has been on my mind today. I hope it encourages you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow~ Erika & Kacie, thank you for sharing your stories! My heart continues to break for the kids in Sweet Home and the kids at Bridges in so many ways. Yet, in so many ways these individuals are stronger in their faith than I could ever hope to be because of the suffering they have endured and the hope in Christ they are learning about and living out. I am so hopeful for this generation that is learning so much about the love of Christ and thankful you all followed God's call to do His work there.

    Thanks for keeping it real Erika and reminding us of our blessings and reminding us where our focus should lie.

    Miss you in life group, Jess!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete