Thursday, August 12, 2010

In Full Swing

We woke up this morning again to a beautifully painted sky and a rising sun promising another warm day ahead. Today we continued classes at the Academy as usually as well as sent a team into Sweet Home. Erin meet with the CHE's to provide them valuable knowledge about first aid and Todd taught an awesome session about pain and suffering. As we approaching the weekend and a close to our first week, our hearts are swelling with a compassion and love for Sweet Home and South Africa. Each night as a team we set aside time to debrief and discuss our experiences from the day. We had a tremendously powerful debrief tonight as we shared how all of our hearts are breaking over the sheer pain and suffering that we have witnessed here in Sweet Home. Park and Keely have offered to share their experience from today.

Parker:


This morning, Erin and I had the great opportunity to go to Sweet Home and teach CPR as well as answer general medical questions to the Community Health Evangelists (CHE's). It was amazing to see how passionate and inquisitive the CHE's are about learning and gaining practical knowledge to better support their community. In total there were 16 CHE's who were able to practice CPR skills and pray that they are able to take this knowledge and teach the rest of the Sweet Home community! Erin and I feel so blessed to serve God while working with an organization like Bridges of Hope that is all about empowering commuinties toward long-term sustainable solutions. Words cannot describe the emotions and the experience of being on this trip, and feel God moving in us but also in Sweet Home as well. In the afternoon, Todd taught a great lesson to the CHE's on pain and suffering and how we live out our faith in the midst of a fallen world. For all of the people back home reading this, thank you so much for your prayers and your comments on this blog. We read them as a team every night and they bring us a wave of encouragement and support. This truly is an experience that will change my life forever.
Blessings, Parker

Keely:

Today I had the oppotunity to serve at the acadmy with the students teaching a class on submissiom/ Christ centered relationships. We started out our day with a group devotion and moved to worship with the students here at the acadamy. One of the songs that we sung was "Open the eyes of my heart" and as I sang I placed my head down to listen to the words of the song that I have heard and said many times in my life. During that time I began to pray and ask GOD to do that very thing for the staff, students and our team, "open our eyes and heart to how You would have us to serve You and Your people". Throughout the day the Lord worked in wonderful ways that really blessed the staff, students, and team. I was blessed to teach the students a hip hop dance which I had been practicing before coming out to South Africa. When the student entered in to the room I said my Lord do your thing and we went from there. About thirty of the student came to the dance which I did not expact at all. The student loved it and could not wait to learn some dance moves we danced for about one and an half hours before I asked the students if they would like to take a break but they had no desire to stop dancing so danced for a while longer before ending with a prayer. The students said that they had a blast and I know that i did as well. I want to thank you all for your prayers for the us as we seek God in South Africa.
Prayer Works!...<><.. Keely

12 comments:

  1. Your blogs are very inspiring and I wait for the next ones with MUCH ANTICIPATION. While I am sure Sweet Home has a great impact on you its likely 10 fold on the children there. Bless all your BIG hearts. Thanks for caring in such a grand way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom and Dad (Erin and Parker).
    I got to play in the pool today and Jim threw the ball for me 15 times! Jeanne let me have cottage cheese for lunch and guess what, I've been sleeping until 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning! I'm having fun, but I miss you!
    Love Bentley, Jim and Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to get an update from Parker and Erin! I am sure that Erin was the best teacher ever! Glad you guys are doing awesome. We continue to pray for you and God's OUTPOURING for the remainder of your trip. Love you guys!

    Dusty and Kimmie Olson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to catching up on the blog each day. To God be the Glory, Great Things He has done! It is so amazing that we are able to get a taste of your days there and see how He is working in you and through you. It is a joy for us to be able to share in the excitement of the students as they experience the outpouring of your love for the Lord. We love you and can't wait to hear more. We are praying that "The Joy of the Lord be your strength and power." Good Night and Sleep tight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also look forward to reading this blog everyday. It is amazing to hear the good work you all are doing for the Kingdom! I am so blessed by the stories you share. P & E its great to hear about your class and see the CPR demo pic! God gave you both amazing gifts and I know the Holy Spirit is working through you to impact your team, the CHE's, Sweet Home and South Africa in HUGE ways!! We are thinking of you and praying for you daily. We hope your hearts of full :) We love you guys!!!

    ~The Davi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the blog! We look forward to reading it each day, and hearing of the wonderful things that God is doing in so many lives ~ yours, the children, and the members of the community. We pray for continued strength, good health, and open hearts as you serve our Lord. hugs sto Matt & Kristy :) Barbara & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blogs! Keep them coming! Praying for you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Team,
    I am so excited for your experiences in SA. It sounds like God is really moving. I am praying for your classes to go well and for building strong bonds with students and CHE's. I am also praying for team unity as you head into the next week. Miss you all!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby B says "Hi"
    Monica and Wood

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Special Shout Out To The Leaders - Thanks again for all you do to prepare the team. You are beautiful examples of Christ's leadership! Hoping and praying for you to be having a great experience and focus on the "here and now" and not Aug 21. Praying for you to have those special moments with VBS kids, students, staff, CHE's and of course God. Miss you guys!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Parker and Erin, I was thrilled to see your photo Erin and to read your words Parker this morning. I continue to be amazed at the talents you both have and am so proud of you both to share your Faith in God is such a meaningful way. Love,
    Mom/Pat

    ReplyDelete