Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 2: Jesus is SO at work in South Africa.

Day two has wound down for us here at South Africa. We had another incredible day, and are just totally on a Jesus-high as we are in the middle of witnessing God's love, passion, commitment and work in this country.

Tonight I'd like to share with you two guest bloggers, as they share just a small glimpse of their personal experiences, to give you an idea of what we're knee deep in.

"Today was a reminder of past experiences that I have had on mission trips from previous years, and once again I found myself in awe of the people we are here to assist and a little disappointed in my own community. As I walked the streets of Sweet Home, I could not help but notice within the dirty, unpaved, and trash filled streets, among the shacks that have been constructed of whatever wood, metal, or debris that could be scavenged, were a people filled with joy and passion. Laughter and endless smiling filled the faces of the children and adults that walk the streets as they engaged in their daily lives. How could they be so happy living in such extreme poverty? Are they completely unaware of the world that surrounds them? This is all many of them have known and they have found a way to be content and even joyful with what God has provided for them.

In sharp contrast to this world that I am now living, I find myself disappointed in my own community. Why is it that Orange County, the place I call home, has so many people that require pain killers and anti-depressants to find happiness? Why are there so many complaints and unsatisfied people? We live in a region of privilege and excess, yet we find every opportunity to complain. I have learned a valuable lesson here in South Africa, and it is only my second day here. I need to value the things that I have, I need to be grateful for the people in my lives, I need to complain less and give more. God has blessed each of us in a different way. The people of Sweet Home, South Africa, have realized it. I hope the rest of us learn to see it as well." –Michael



"I woke this morning to a Beautiful country filled with amazing People! Today I had the opportunity to open up to the students in 8th and 9th grade and share a little about my own life and encouraging them in theirs. My theme for the class was WHERE is God in the mists of Pain / Trouble? Do you believe God is really there? For these students at the academy they know pain. Some like me have lost loved ones and some like me have grown up with not knowing one or both parents. It was an awesome experience to be able to focus on the good that comes from the hard times and to encourage them to “Just be”. I left them with this question, do you think that God can use your pain and would he change your current pain so that you can share and bless others?

Dinner tonight was also amazing and I got to sit amongst the beautiful children of South Africa! I still can’t believe I am here. I washed dishes after dinner with 3 boys, Julius, Bulelanie and Odwa, they are all so amazing. Julius however was one who wanted to talk and so we did. We had wonderful conversation and he shared some poems with me; which he told me Wood (who couldn’t be here) taught him how to write poems last year and was so thankful to be able to have something to go home with in order to connect with his friends. His poems were so amazing and real. I felt honored that he would share them with me. I love being amongst these Beautiful people who only know raw and real! God is doing amazing things here in South Africa and this is just the beginning!" –Cassie




Furthermore, we would always appreciate your continued prayer. Here are some specifics you could help us out with:

Please pray for:

-Kristy's health. She was slightly ill today. We're praying that she is fully recovered by tomorrow!
-Our team as we daily head into our partner community, Sweet Home. This can be a dangerous region (both safety and health wise) for us if we are not careful. Pray for our protection and health as we dive into ministry with them.
-As always, pray for the Sweet Home and Bridges of Hope Academy ministries. In addition, pray for our VBS as we kick it off in the Sweet Home community tomorrow. We will be in contact with hundreds of kids, I hear. Pray that we dispense the gospel well and that the Spirit moves from within us, and that the children receive it well.
-And of course, continued health, protection, intimacy with God, and team unity.

(Though we welcome most any prayers, gladly!)


Thanks everyone for keeping up with us. Love!

1 comment:

  1. Hello all! Just wanted you to know I am praying, and especially to say hi to my niece Cassie. I know this trip is a fulfillment of many years of God's work in you, and your heart for Africa. We all love you and can't wait to hear all that happens to you and through you over there!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete