Monday, January 10, 2011

And the first day of academy is in the books! Mykl here, filling you in after a long and tremendous day at the academy. We started our day off at the Sweet Home township, and then concluded our teachings and group activities at the academy.
One thing that really made an impression on me today was our morning visit to Sweet Home. It was amazing to see the way God was working through the township and to actually feel the hope that was present through out the township. As we were walking to our cars to go back to the academy, we noticed two young boys no older then the age of 8, playing with some pieces of cardboard and having the time of the their life. It really got at me seeing how these kids could have nothing and still yet be filled with joy and hope. It is definitely something that humbled me and made me think about the blessings that God has already placed in my life. On a side note, with this lack of communication thing I am really hoping my mother is reading this so she knows that I am alive and loving South Africa. I love you mom! :) I can't wait to see how God continues to show up and use the team here to make an impact on these kids lives.
P.S. How about them Seahawks?????? :)

*~*~*

Wood Here.

Just want to say how much I miss my beautiful 5 month old baby and wife. I brought a bunch of pictures with me and they help, but I miss his giggles and laughs. It was a long day today. We went to Sweet Home first thing in the morning as the rest of the staff went to pick up the kids for camp. We met some of them when we picked up Sisande, our CHE leader in Sweet Home. She drove with us the rest of the way into Sweet Home. We got to tour the new creche (pre-school), the kids come back this weekend from holidays so it was mostly empty, and the new St. Barnabus church. The old creche buildings, the only real brick buildings in the entire township, are now vacant just next door.

Please pray for the local political leader/mayor/prefect that he can work to better conditions of all the residents and use the resources for the community instead of personal gain. That said, the new plot behind it is just as functional as the old one and now includes a church. I had seen some early pictures of the church and it looked like and empty shell of a makeshift building. I don't know what I was expecting, but walking into it I felt a calming peace come over me. A large cross painted on the far wall, a single pew against the back wall with a rainbow and kids hand prints on the back wall. Prayer cards nailed to the barely 7 foot ceiling framing holding up a hodge podge of corrugated metal for the roof. A small "building" only about 12 feet across and 20 feet long. In the center, two small kids sleeping on small pieces of egg crate foam reminded me of my own baby at home. This was a holy place....This was a holy place.

As we left the creche, we passed three young men at 9am in the morning carrying three very large bottles of beer. We said hi as they passed and our way back to the car down the dirt road filled with glass and debris. I prayed a prayer of thanks for this place of peace in the middle of brokenness.

On the leadership side, tons and tons of schedule changes and unexpected duties. The principal at the academy is in transition and things are in a state of flux. We don't have the facilities we expected and there are a lot of extra duties we had not planned for. Add to that a few tons of unknown and welcome to Africa. We are getting through just fine, but please pray for the academy during this time of transition and pray for our team to have extra strength to power through the next two weeks. The first day is always the hardest and this was no different. Everyone is tired, everyone is in great spirits, no one is sick (except me and my sinuses are getting better...hopefully...please pray), everyone is looking forward to what God has planned for tomorrow.

I'm teaching about Sex and Marriage as I have done on all my previous 3 trips to Africa. I talk with the guys and my teaching partner Mykl is spending the group time with the girls. I left my students with Proverbs 5:3-14. The perfect verse, for the perfect moment. Amazing how a few lines of text can teach a life time of wisdom. God is great.

*~*~*

Siobahnne here to sign us off for the day.

Today was a big day for us as Wood and Mykl addressed. We hit the ground running, but a lot of new and interesting (and by interesting I mean somewhat stressful and confounding) hurdles have been tossed in our way. There's been confusion, exhaustion and a little bit of chaos too.

We definitely could use some more prayer:
Emily, please continue to be on spider duty.
The kids need a lot of prayer. Coming back to all these transitions has been tough, and they seem restless and are pushing boundaries. Pray for adjustment and peace. Also pray for relationship and honesty. The curriculum we're working through with them addresses some heavy topics, and they are topics that can't really be properly handled without a lot of blatant honesty and a willingness to discuss.
Pray for the Academy. This have been really up in the air and crazy, and the folks here could use the prayer support. Pray that good decisions are made, and the energy and heart is there in everyone to move forward and persevere.
Pray for the team. We're already feeling tired and a bit emotionally drained. It's been a rough day for a few and we could really use prayer for patience and endurance. We're been truly learning the meaning of the "best laid plans of mice and men," and could use some peace and purpose in the chaos.


There's been a lot going on in all of our minds and I pray we look beyond the internal battle to God's truth.

If my first thought is
"I'm weary"
Let my second be
"God sustains"
If I think for an instant
"I'm weak"
Let me remember
"God is strong"
If, even for a moment, I hear
"I can't do this"
May I pray that
"God's will be done"
And when I kneel in awe
"How wonderful"
Let me be thankful because
"You've already won"


Let our team respond to every moment, good or bad, by turning it over to the Lord.

Tomorrow is another day, and its fast encroaching on this side of the world! Thank you again for all the comments, love and prayer.

16 comments:

  1. Hi friends: thanks for the specific prayer requests...we are on it!!! Sounds like there have been lots of changes, and you've now learned the #1 lesson in Africa - FLEXIBIITY!! :) As you may have already started saying "TIA!" which means This Is Africa...I'm sure you know what I mean! We're praying lots of strength and energy over all of you....:) Emily

    Sio: Liam Jayden was born 1.9.11 @ 11:03am weighing 8lbs 4oz! Congrats, Godmommy!! :)

    Lots of love to all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers! Last night at church Isaiah 40 was shared with me as I asked for prayer for feeling overwhelemed and tired. Today I'll share it with you.

    Isiah 40:28b-31
    The LORD is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
    He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
    29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
    30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
    31 but those who hope in the LORD
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

    Time at the academy is tough, but you can be a pillar of strength for the kids. In the end the tough conversations you are having will be a framework that will see fruition throughout the rest of the school year. Take heart, your seeds are being planted and God will grow them to bear fruit in the kids. You are loved and in my prayers!!
    Cheers!
    love kacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates and insights from your end. Know that you've got a network of people praying for you and lifting up these specific requests! Wood & Claire...I'm so glad that the team has you to help guide them through this experience. Although things may seem much more challenging that you might have anticipated remember that God is in control…love & prayers!

    “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.” James 1:2-6

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo-hoo!! I figured out how to use this:) thanks for the postings...yes Mykl, i have been looking everyday and praying for God to guide, and take of, you and your team. it's good to hear from you tho :) Keep the info coming and I hope it starts to go a little smoother for you all from here on out. Remember thru adversity comes strength...

    "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." - John 16:33

    Tracie (Mykl's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flawlessly executing a perfectly laid plan will build confidence, improvising and persevering when your perfectly laid plan gets tossed out the window builds character. Love to you all and our prayers are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to pray for you all. Quite the day you had! Claire, Wood, and Tanya are great support outlets for those of you who haven't been on the trip before, look to them, while looking to God first and foremost and ultimately relying on Him for your spirit and strength. It is amazing that life "still goes on" and often times in the most joyful way when all you have is some cardboard to work with. Hang in there!! God's majesty is only going to become stronger, while the emotions will do the same. Wood, I hope you brought a NETI POT for everyday! I wish I could sit in on your and Mykl's teaching. Thanks to you both for writing such rich text, and to Siobahnne for closing it out. I will leave you with a prayer for this time, consider praying this as a team:
    Lord, we pray You would help us to stand strong, in all we know of You. Teach us to stand on Your Word, no matter what is happening in our lives. Enable us to stand away from sin and evil, and be strong in obedience to Your ways. We acknowledge that we are weak, but rejoice that You are strong in us--especially during times of trial and difficulty. Help us to learn what we need to know from each challenge we face. Lead us on the path You have for us. We don't want to take a single step without You.
    Help us in the situation we are facing now. Lift us out of any hopelessness, fear, doubt, or frustration. Enable us to be firm in faith and always in Your will. Thank You for helping us stand strong in the face of enemy opposition. We are grateful You have armed us with strength for the battle.
    So many times "We would have lost heart, unless we had believed that we would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living" (Ps. 27:13). Enable us to see Your truth in every situation. Help us to become so strong in You that we can stand without wavering, no matter what happens. Teach us to rest in You, knowing that You will give us what we need for the moment we are in. We are determined to "count it all joy" when we go through trials, because of the perfecting work You will do for us (James 1:2-4). "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me" (Ps. 138:7). In Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of you Mykl and your team that I hope to meet upon your return! Walk in faith and with courage....and keep that smile on your face love bug :)

    1 Corinthians 16:13
    Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

    <3
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi team,
    Welcome to South Africa! Never let doubt or worry or frustration grab a hold of you because it's going to want to...a lot on this trip. Trust me. :) Instead rest in the knowledge that you have each been chosen for a reason, and God is going to use each of you in BIG ways...in ways that might seem far away from you at the present, but they are coming!

    Isaiah 64:8,
    "Yet you, LORD, are our Father.
    We are the clay, you are the potter;
    we are all the work of your hand."

    God has His hands on you. Continue to be open to how He can stretch you and use you while you are there...even if it means something as simple as washing the dishes. Every moment can be an opportunity you can spend waking up to God's presence. He is with you. Nothing can stand against you.

    My prayers and love are with all of you.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey team,

    First of all- 3 posts in one day? Awesome! Love reading what is going on through different perspectives.

    Second of all- yup, you are definitely in Africa now! Though you are weary and tired, it is then He will make you strong and show Himself faithful because ultimately it is Him doing it, not you. His grace is sufficient team.

    One of our memory verses came to mind: "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

    Know and remember that God called you for such a time as this, and you have been chosen as His instrument to serve him and His people in what may seem insignificant or big ways, but nonetheless, humbly be open to His presence and what He may have in store to do through you and teach you.

    I am thinking of you continually throughout the day and praying fervently!

    God bless you all for your hearts, obedience, and I pray an extra measure of strength, wisdom, love and joy as you continue to be a blessing to those who really need it.

    I am also praying those kids at the academy be open and respectful too :)

    P.S. Enjoy every moment...no matter how difficult...it goes by way too fast...

    Love you all!

    Lailanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicole, Hi sweetie this is Mom and Dad, I MISS YOU sooo much. This computer and I have become buddies. I look all day long to see if there are messages from ya. It is so exciting to hear from ya and what God is doing. Sounds like you and the team have had some hurdles to go over but remember God is in control. Proverb 3 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
    Nicole, You are an amazing lady and Iam so proud to say you are my daughter. I miss those morning phone calls from you and cant wait to hear your voice. Your Dad and I continue to pray for your safety, health, that lives will be changed in Africa and within the team. Keep smiling and keep your energy going. You are full of life, we love you. Rudy says hi, God Bless. Mom & Dad

    Opps forgot , praying that those spiders go "on vacation" for 2 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying Philippians 4:5-7 for your team:
    Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

    Hoping that you are all rolling with the punches well. Be open to the work that God is doing in your own hearts as you minister to others. I pray for unity and a spirit of celebration for you all!

    On a lighter note, has anyone seen Tulip yet? I miss her dearly, but had to leave her behind in South Africa. I can't really enjoy a good cup of tea anymore without her company. I think Tanya should know who I am talking about. Anyway, blessings and happiness to you all and I cannot wait to hear more about your adventures in the coming days!
    Pleasant Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since you may be feeling tired, sick, emotionally drained, or a little bit of everything, our prayer for you is 2 Corinthians 12:9,10:

    "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

    We pray that God provides you with supernatural strength & encouragement & fills each one of you up with His love. As you can tell, based on all these comments, you are all being covered in prayer throughout your day, and we can't wait to hear the awesome stories of how God is using each one of you to impact the lives of the Bridges students & staff! Keep up the great work!

    -Kristy & Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. HEY TEAM!
    I am so proud of each and every one of you all for going on this incrediable journey that GOD has sent you on. There was a small group of us that got together the other night to pray for Stephanie who you will meet tomorrow if you haven't already. After spending hours praying about the journey she will be taking, i began to think about the experiance that i took no more than 6 months ago. In doing that, I started to pray for you all on this trip. I started to pray that I hope all of you listen to what God is telling you on this trip and really try to dicern His voice in the awesomeness of South Africa. The one piece of advice i would have for you in doing that, is spend as much time as you can with the kids. play with them, laugh with them, connect with them, learn from them. They are such amazing kids and I would give just about anything to be with them right now.
    Sio and Tanya, your LG is praying for you. It isn't the same without you here. Sio, TL is taking care of your Parade Route, lol. Enjoy your awesome time in my favorite place in the world.
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Morning Sunshine! (Nicole) Just want to say How much I love you and what a wonderful thing you are doing. May God Bless you all on this beautiful day. It is 8:45 a.m. here on Tuesday so its probably around 6:45 p.m. there. God Bless to you all and have a good night.
    All Our Love, Mom & Dad
    PS: Your Dad wanted me to tell you that the "Ducks" lost last night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mykl, Grandma here;
    So great to know that all of you have arrived safely.
    God is opening a whole new world and a great path for you to explore, you will be blessed 100 times over.
    Share and learn.
    Love and prayers,G'ma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicole, this is your Dad. I just want to tell you how proud Iam of you. Your Mom and I are praying for you every day, many times a day. We think of you so much throughout the day. Your Mom is even taking the computer with her when we go places! (does that surprise you) May the Lord show you new things, be still and listen to him. I love you Nicole and i just want to tell you you are so much loved by many people back home. Miss you. Dad

    ReplyDelete